Protect Your Vehicle From Gas TheftProtect Your Vehicle From Gas Theft http://learningcenter.statefarm.com/auto/safety/protect-your-vehicle-from-gas-theft/ bb3 Dec 3, 2010
By Staff writer State Farm™ Employee
Thieves have found a new target: the gasoline from your vehicle. As the price of gas rises, so do the number of gas-theft incidents. Here's how you can help protect your vehicle and your pocketbook:
- Always park in well-lit, well-traveled locations.
- Park in your garage or driveway whenever possible. If you have to park in the street, do so under street lighting near your house.
- Avoid parking in public places for extended periods of time. For example, rather than leaving your car in the airport parking lot for a week, ask a friend or neighbor for a ride.
- Position your vehicle so the fuel door is seen from a main road.
- Consider installing a locking gas cap, even if your fuel door locks.
- Remember to call 911 if you see suspicious behavior, such as someone putting a siphon into a gas tank or acting strangely around parked cars.
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.