Protect Yourself After The StormProtect Yourself After The Storm http://learningcenter.statefarm.com/insurance/severe-weather/protect-yourself-from-fraud-this-storm-season/ bb3 Nov 16, 2012
By Staff Writer State Farm™ Employee
Neighborhoods recovering from storm damage often attract the attention of repair companies. Ask questions, do research, and obtain information, before signing a contract for repairs.
Here are some tips to help you find a reputable contractor:
- Before installing a new roof, or having repairs made, consider the following when choosing your contractor:
- Look for an established, licensed or bonded roofer and request references. Not all jurisdictions require licensing of roofing contractors.
- Ask to see certificates of insurance to be sure both liability and workers compensation insurance coverage is carried, and are in force during the time the roofing work is being done.
- Insist on a detailed, written estimate clearly stating the quantity of materials needed (labor charges; work specifications) which include approximate starting and completion dates; payment procedures and that any necessary building permits are secured.
- Carefully review and understand any warranty and watch for conditions that would void it.
Use caution (ask questions) before accepting a bid substantially lower than other bids covering the same repair work.
- Contact your local Better Business Bureau to check for complaints filed against the contractor.
- You may also contact your National Roofing Contractors Association for assistance in locating a professional contractor in a specific geographic area at 1-800-USA-ROOF or 1-800-872-7663 or go to http://www.nrca.net/.
- In Canada, you may contact the Canadian Roofing Contractors Association for assistance in locating a professional contractor in a specific geographic area at 1-800-461-2722 or go to http://www.roofingcanada.com/.
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.