SR-22 Information: What You Need to KnowSR-22 Information: What You Need to Know https://learningcenter.statefarm.com/auto/insurance/sr-22-information-what-you-need-to-know/ bb3 Mar 1, 2013
By Staff Writer State Farm™ Employee
If your driver's license has been suspended, your state Department of Motor Vehicles may require you to obtain an SR-22 document known as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility. An SR-22 verifies the purchase of vehicle insurance coverage required by the state for reinstatement of driving privileges.
Reasons Why an SR-22 May Be Required
The requirement to have an SR-22 is usually associated with:
- Multiple traffic offenses;
- DUIs, DWIs, or other serious moving violations;
- License suspension or revocation; or
- Violations for failure to maintain the mandatory insurance coverage required in your state.
If you are required to get an SR-22, the traffic court where you appeared or the Department of Motor Vehicles will notify you by mail. The insurance company will charge a fee for providing an SR-22 certificate on your behalf. The amount of the fee may differ by state. Additional fees may be charged by the state.
Typical SR-22 Terms
Terms and requirements vary by state, but generally:
- You must retain both the SR-22 and your insurance policy for approximately three years.
- If your insurance policy lapses, your insurer is required by law to notify the Department of Motor Vehicle's office. Your license will be suspended until your insurance has been reinstated.
- Once you have met your SR-22 obligations for the proscribed amount of time, your SR-22 status will be removed.
Contact your insurance agent for more SR-22 information, and to determine the SR-22 and liability insurance requirements in your state. Your insurance agent can assist you in obtaining insurance and the SR-22 certificate through an insurance provider in your area.
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.