The Ins and Outs of Moving Insurance

The Ins and Outs of Moving Insurance bb3 Jan 27, 2014

By Staff Writer State Farm™ Employee

  • Email
  • Print

When preparing for a move, you may be hiring movers, packing, and transferring your homeowners or renters insurance to your new address. But what about getting moving insurance?

If youíre like most people, you may not realize that your homeowners or renters insurance wonít cover loss or damage to your possessions while in transit. Since moving puts your stuff at risk for all kinds of unforeseeable mishaps, having moving insurance can give you peace of mind should anything go awry.

Moving Insurance Basics

Hereís what you need to know to make sure youíre protected for your next move.

  • Does my homeowners policy cover a move? Although itís not standard, some homeowners policies will cover your property during a move. Review your policy or talk with your agent to see if your property is insured while in transit or storage.

  • Where do I get moving insurance? Moving companies offer various insurance options, two of which are mandated by federal law.

    • Released value coverage (or basic carrier liability). As the most basic coverage required by federal law, this liability coverage is free and based on weight, paying up to 60 cents per pound for an item. But if your $500 one-pound tablet gets damaged during a move, well, it hardly comes close to paying the full replacement value.
    • Full value protection (or full replacement value protection). Also required by federal law, this coverage has to be purchased, but experts recommend it, because it pays for either the current market replacement value of an item, replacement with a similar item, or the itemís repair. If you opt for full value protection, make sure to get details of your moving companyís specific plan to see how it determines replacement value, especially for items of extraordinary value, and to learn what actions might limit your moverís liability.
    • Separate liability insurance. Some movers might offer this optional insurance for purchase. Governed by state law, separate liability insurance pays for the insurance amount purchased minus the basic carrier liability amount that the mover pays (up to 60 cents per pound). If you go this route, make sure you get a copy of your policy and understand the amount of insurance you purchased and the cost for this coverage.
  • What if I do the move myself? Most likely, your homeowners or auto insurance policy wonít cover your possessions if you transport it in your personal vehicle or in a rental vehicle. If thatís the case, then you assume the risk if you use your own vehicle for the move. Truck rental companies, on the other hand, offer insurance that not only protects the rental vehicle, but also the driver, passengers, and your cargo, depending on the type of coverage you choose.

  • What do I need to file a claim? To file a claim of loss or damage, you may need to prove that the lost or damaged item was actually moved by the movers and not damaged beforehand. A comprehensive moving inventory list ó which should include items of extraordinary value like jewelry, silverware, and digital devices ó can help support your claim, so make sure it is complete before the movers transport your property. Itís also wise to take before and after pictures and file your claim promptly to facilitate reimbursement.

Any way you look at it, moving insurance can provide some protection and peace of mind during an extremely stressful time. To learn more about protecting your next move, visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrationís The Household Goods Program.

Additional Reading

If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.


Find a local agent below

Get a Rate Quote Now