Is It Time To Rewire Your Home?Is It Time To Rewire Your Home? https://learningcenter.statefarm.com/residence/safety-1/is-it-time-to-rewire-your-home/ bb3 Oct 17, 2011
By Staff Writer State Farm™ Employee
- A home-structure fire is reported every 87 seconds.
- Home electrical problems cause almost 29,000 fires every year.
- $1.1 billion in property damage is caused by home-electrical fires annually.
- Frequent blown fuses or tripped breakers
- An over-amped or over-fused electrical panel
- Dimming or flickering lights, indicating the circuit is overloaded or has a loose connection
- Hot or discolored switch plates, cords or plugs
- Light bulbs that frequently burn out in a socket, signaling a fixture that canít handle the bulb wattage
- Buzzing or sizzling sounds
- A burning smell
- Arcs or sparks from an outlet when you plug or unplug a cord
- Loose outlets
- Cracked, cut or broken insulation
- Electrical shock when you plug in or touch a cord.
- If your home is older than 40 years
- If youíre relying on extension cords for power
- If youíve made major home improvements or added major new appliances that could strain your existing system
- If your home has ungrounded, two-prong outlets
- If your home has aluminum instead of copper wiring
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.